Transactions for May 2008
Received cash from clients as an advance payment for services to be provided and recorded it as unearned fees, $1,550.
Received cash from clients on account, $1,750.
Paid cash for a newspaper advertisement, $100
Paid Office Station Co. for part of the debt incurred on April 5, $400
Recorded services provided on account for the period May 1-15, $5,100.
Paid part-time receptionist for two weeks' salary including the amount owed on April 13, $750.
Recorded cash from cash clients for fees earned during the period May 1-16, $7,380
Purchased supplies on account, $500.
Recorded services provided on account for the period May 16-20, $2,900.
Recorded cash from cash clients for fees earned for the period May 17-23, $4,200.
Received cash from clients on account, $6,600.
Paid part-time receptionist for two weeks' salary, $750.
Paid telephone bill for May, $150.
Paid electricity bill for May, $225.
Recorded cash from cash clients for fees earned , $2,875.
Provided services on account $2,200.
Kelly withdrew $7,500 for personal use.
Adjusting entries for May 31 are
Insurance was purchased for a one-year period, starting on March 1, 2008.
Rent was prepaid on January 1, 2008, for a one-year period, starting on January 1.
Office equipment has a 5 year life, with a 2,500 salvage value.
A supplies inventory count shows an ending balance of $1,235.
1. Record the ending balances from the April 30 post closing trial balance into the ledger sheets or alternatively, you may create T-accounts on an Excel spreadsheet.
2. Record journal entries for the May transactions on the journal sheets given or create a spreadsheet configured as a journal sheet.
3. Post the journal entries to the ledger sheets or if you created T-accounts post the entries to your T-accounts.
4. Enter the ending balances from the ledger or T-accounts on to the worksheet trial balance columns.
5. Enter the adjustments directly on to the worksheet.
6. Extend to the adjusted trial balance columns.
7. Extend to the financial statement columns.
8. Prepare the financial statements.
9. Enter the closing entries on to the worksheet.
10. Prepare the post-closing trial balance for May.
Submit your work in a Portfolio Project Excel worksheet that you download from the
Module 8 Assignments page. Make sure all the sections listed below are on the worksheet as a single document with each of the four sections described clearly identified.
Make sure you include the following sections in your final Excel Workbook:
I. The completed Worksheet on the given downloadable spreadsheet
II. Formal income statement, statement of owner's equity, and balance sheet (These may be prepared on separate tabs on the Excel Workbook where "Worksheet" is the first tab)
III. Post-Closing Trial Balance for May 31
IV. T- Accounts
Transactions for May 2008